How Can I Select a Top GI Specialist Near Me?
The digestive tract is one of the most essential systems of the body and is made up of critical organs, including the esophagus, intestines, pancreas, gallbladder, and stomach. Problems in the gastrointestinal (GI) system can impact the way your body absorbs nutrients and passes waste. If you are experiencing worrisome signs related to your gastrointestinal health, it is probably time to look for a specialist. Digestive Health Associates of Texas is your source for expert gastroenterology care in the Dallas, TX area.
What is a GI physician and what do they treat?
A gastrointestinal (GI) doctor is a practitioner that focuses on taking care of the gastrointestinal system and liver. A GI specialist helps maintain a patient’s digestive health and addresses issues, including:
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
- Fatty liver disease
- Colorectal cancer or polyps
- Heartburn (gastroesophageal reflux disease)
- Ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease (inflammatory bowel disease)
- Celiac disease and non-celiac gluten intolerance
When should I visit a GI doctor?
Most individuals experience GI upset or other issues from time to time. But when you have stomach pain, difficulty swallowing, frequent acid reflux, irregular bowel movements, or other concerning symptoms that persist, it's likely time to set up a consultation with a gastroenterologist as soon as possible. It's also important to schedule regular appointments with a GI specialist for preventive care and colon cancer testing beginning around age 45.
How to find the best GI doctor near me
Finding a GI physician may seem like an intimidating process, but Digestive Health Associates of Texas is here to help. We've compiled some pointers to assist you in locating a gastroenterology physician in Dallas, TX.
- Seek a recommendation from your primary care doctor. Since they're your principal line of defense for any medical concerns you experience, your general physician is an excellent source for local GI specialists.
- Ask your family or friends for advice. If a person in your life also has digestive problems, they might guide you toward a trustworthy Dallas, TX gastrointestinal specialist. Inquire from your family and friends who they go to for their digestive health concerns and preventive colon cancer screenings.
- Search your insurance company's system for covered GI specialists. To help keep your out-of-pocket expenses low, search your insurance company's network or get in touch with your policy representative for an index of nearby GI physicians.
- Check your gastroenterology physician's education. Prior to setting up a appointment with a GI specialist, do some research on their skills and education. Find out where they obtained their medical training and how long they have been in practice. It's also a good idea to review patient feedback to find out what others have said about their visit with the GI doctor you're considering.
- Book an appointment. Once you have dwindled down your list of potential physicians, reach out to your preferred gastroenterology specialist and set up a consultation. When you visit your doctor, pay attention to how they communicate with you and how you feel during the appointment. Picking a doctor who prioritizes your comfort and welfare can allow you to feel more relaxed and at ease when getting care.
Seeking a GI specialist in Dallas, TX?
Forming a partnership with an experienced GI specialist can help you maintain your gastrointestinal health and overall well-being. The physicians at Digestive Health Associates of Texas take a patient-centered approach to treating gastrointestinal concerns and are committed to your health, happiness, and quality of care. We encourage you to reach out to our GI practice in Dallas, TX to arrange a consultation.